Wednesday, October 13, 2010

All My Bags Are Packed and I'm Ready to Go....


So, I really should be fast asleep right now... Enjoying peaceful slumber in my cozy bed located in my clean, bug free, modern and private apartment. Instead, excitement has got the better of me (and if I am honest-- nerves too) and I am keeping busy doing mostly anything besides sleeping. From Googling Guatemala destinations to no end, downloading music (most recently purchased was the 2002 Norah Jones "Come Away With Me" album-- sure to put me asleep in even the noisiest of hostels), to sifting through my backpacks as if there is going to be an earth shattering discovery of something that is missing and/or an item that must not come along on the journey and of course cherishing my last moments lurking around on Facebook-- oh how I will miss thee!

The truth is, I am incredibly excited for what lies ahead and also in slight disbelief that my epic adventure (as I have come to lovingly call it) is finally here! I suppose reality will sink in once I arrive to Guatemala and no longer speak the language of the country I am in or know my way around at all... I'll have to work on that! I feel fortunate for this exciting, humbling and powerful opportunity and plan to make the most of every moment... Bring it on!

I fly tomorrow (which I guess at this point in time is today) from SFO to Guatemala City to begin my journey. I will be spending the night at a B&B in Guatemala City and then will head to Xela sometime the next day (after a tour of GC) to meet up with my awesome travel buddy Beth. Beth has already been out traveling for a few weeks at this point and I am extremely excited to join her. Beth and I met in March on a service trip for Bay Area young professionals to New Orleans, where we were serendipitously assigned to the same hostel room-- it was pretty much love at first sight. Since New Orleans, we have led two trips to Yosemite together, grabbed many-a-beers around town, planned a trip to Central and South America and now it is time to actualize our glorious plans!

Excitement, some nerves and great anticipation... Guatemala here I come!

2 comments:

  1. Although sad we are passing like ships in the night, I am soooo excited for your adventure. Enjoy every minute till you're back on the plane and know that we will have Nick's crispy tacos waiting when you get home! Love you Kamen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to traveling vicariously through you! xo jmangs

    ReplyDelete