Sunday, October 24, 2010

Adios Lago Atitlan!

It has been an amazing week in San Pedro and we will be heading off tomorrow morning towards Semuc Champey in Lanquin-- a jungle based, limestone structured, mineral pool oasis.

This morning we said good bye to our host family and are now back into the wonderful world of hostels-- staying at a classy little place called Yo Mama´s. I really enjoyed our homestay, but it was not without plenty of awkward moments, as is to be expected. Most awkward moments revolved around the bathroom I shared with the family-- I won´t miss that part of the experience! What I will miss though are the bountiful homecooked meals of Mama Maria, the challenge of piecing Spanish words together to communicate with the family, my very own bedroom and the opportunity to get a glimpse into the daily life of a Guatemalan family. It has certainly been an incredible experience... I will never forget my Guatemalan family!

Our time around Lago Atitlan has been full of adventure, with plenty of time to relax as well-- mostly in hammocks. Highlights include hikes around the lake from San Pedro to San Marcos, from San Marcos to Santa Cruz and a trip to Santiago to visit the shrine of Maximon-- the Maya god of drinking and smoking. Spanish school was a wonderful experience and although my Spanish is still significantly lacking-- I am much better off than I was before. Oh, and horseback riding out to the playa was a blast as well-- although a little scary due to my malnourished horse-- no big deal! And of course, needless to say it is the people you meet along the way that truly shape your experience and we certainly met some great people in our short time here... Matt, Townsend, Gary and Nancy, Jim from Allegre, Henry, my New Zealand peeps... Mucho gusto!

No comments:

Post a Comment