Saturday, February 19, 2011

The Valley of Longevity


After a delightful 48 hour journey (via almost every mode of transportation possible) from Buenos Aires, Argentina to Vilcabamba, Ecuador-- I arrived in the evening to the well known and loved Izhcayluma Hostel perched high up on a hill overlooking the Valley of Longevity in Vilcabamba. As it was dark when I arrived, I had no idea exactly how gorgeous my home for the next 2 nights was-- a pleasant surprise waiting for me in the morning. Exhausted from all my travels, I had a drink at the bar and called it an early night in my cozy and full sized non-bunk bed... Heaven!

In the morning I was blown away by the beauty of the valley and the hostel itself including it`s gardens, the pool and the 360 degree views it offered of the surrounding mountains. Izhcayluma provides a beautiful (and included in room price) breakfast of homemade bread, eggs, crepes, fresh fruit, juice, etc. It was an amazing way to start my day eating high up on a hill with such breathtaking views and the sun shining. I was able to easily fill my 2 days at Izhcayluma with ample pool, hammock, hike and spa time-- treating myself to a massage and facial while there. Again... heaven!

Vilcabamba is a mecca for expat hippies who dig the tranquilo lifestyle. I found out that 10% of the Vilcabamba population (over 600 people) are expats from all over the world. In my short time in Vilcabamba I met my fare share of expat characters like the `Coconut Man` from Germany (he always was always carrying coconuts around with him) who joined me one evening for sunset at Izhcayluma. He told me about his raw diet and the positive energy he feels in Vilcabamba... Which the latter I could actually relate to! Then there was the dreadlock shoeless crew who hung out (maybe worked-- hard to tell) at the Juice Bar in town. They greeted me on both my visits there with a long drawn out hippie style `Heeyyyyy`. I got some crazy green smoothie there, which was delicious-- I can see why the local gringos love that place so much! And how could I ever forget the lady at our hostel who sat most of the day wrapped in colorful silks and beaded necklaces of all lenghths, doing something or other with tarot cards and crystals. A true hippie haven-I felt right at home in Vilcabamba!

They call Vilcabamba the Valley of Longevity because the people who live there lead ridiculously long (and seemingly happy) lives. From the moment I arrived in Vilcabamba, I truly loved being there. There is something so special about this tiny town and surrounding areas... the lush gree mountains, the spectacular sunsets, the birds, the flowers and butterflys-- it is all incredible. The only hard part about visiting Vilcabamba is of course leaving...

After 2 glorious days in Vilcabamba I made my way to Guayaquil where I arrived bright and early this morning. Although I have actually really enjoyed my time here so far, Guayaquil is the largest and perhaps most dangerous city in Ecuador. That said, Guayaquil is where all flights to the Galapagos ultimately depart from, so it is pretty much the best place to arrange your Galapagos journey and therefore is somewhat set up for tourism. I had a nice day today walking along the amazing waterfront called the Malecon 2000, hanging out with a new friend I made from of all places Brighton, Michigan (shout-out to Camp Tamarack) and shopping around for Galapagos tours. I am beyond excited to announce that I booked an 8 day sail boat trip through the Galapagos departing on Monday. Pretty much a dream come true, it has not quite sunk in yet what lies ahead! I cannot believe I will be celebrating my 27th birthday in the Galapagos Islands! Bring on the blue boobies, giant tortoises, dolphins, penguins and sunshine! Ahh-- I am so excited!

In other news, I miss Beth a lot and there have been countless moments (esp. during my 48 hours of travel) where I have turned to comment on something ridiculous to her, share a laugh, reflect on our trip, etc... But instead of Beth it is some random person next to me! 4 months is a long time to travel with someone-- we were practically married by the end of our journeys together. Sharing a hostel bunk bed with someone else will never be the same. I also miss her excellent Spanish and translating skills-- it`s time to up the ante with my Spanish!

So that is the update for now. Next stop Galapagos, where I will turn a year older, potentially wiser and for sure more tan. I will report back on my epic sailing adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment